Canggu is a district north of Seminyak that lies midway between Seminyak and Tanah Lot. It is a largely rural area that is starts a few kilometers inland and borders on the western coast of Bali.
It has dark or black sand beaches which are not particularly good for swimming but do offer some renowned surfing spots.
The area is popular place, being roughly 25 mins drive from Seminyak, with many local expatriates and many villas owned by overseas nationals are located here as well. Much of the area features quietly undulating terrain with the rice paddies that categorize much of central Bali.
To the south lies Umalas or kerobokan and to the north lies Tanah Lot.
HOW TO REACH CANGGU
Taxis are hard to find in this area and most travel tends to be by private car or motorcycle.
WHAT TO SEE AND DO AT CANGGU
The nearby Nirwana Bali Golf Course at the Le Meriden Hotel, was designed by Greg Norman, and was voted the number 1 golf course in Asia; it is situated beside the dramatic, waved-lashed sea temple of Tanah Lot just to the north.
Horse riding - Umalas offers the Umalas stables, formally named the 'Umalas Equestrian Centre’
Various activities are offered at the Canggu Club www.cangguclub.com/- Bali's first country club.
The Hotel Tugu is located on Canggu beach with the good waves for surfing. The hotel is a living museum of priceless antiques and rare cultural artifacts, and it also offers the attractions of fine dining together with the facilities of a delightful spa.
WHERE TO STAY AT CANGGU
There are a variety of small hotels and bungalow collections in this area. The most prevalent form of travel accommodation is private villas.
- Semarapura Villa, Cemagi, Canggu www.semarapuravilla.com. New to the market after an extensive renovation in 2008, the 5 bedroom Villa Semarapura is an expansive luxury beachfront villa, located between Canggu and Tanah Lot, 40 minutes from Seminyak on Bali’s southwest coast. This private Bali rental villa is comprised of a series of pavilions, swimming pool and ornamental ponds, leisurely spread throughout an expansive 5000 square metres (one acre and a quarter) of rolling lawns. Fully staffed and ideal for events.
- Villa Mako, Canggu www.villamako.com. A peaceful 3-bedroom retreat, complete with swimming pool and large garden, located in a quiet traditional village above a small river valley. The single-storey villa is neo-colonial in style, similar to the Dutch guesthouses of the Javanese and Malay hill stations, characterised by louvre shutters, old teak doors, and spectacular high wooden ceilings built of seasoned timbers. The eclectic interiors reflect the travels and passions of the owners, introducing Balinese and Javanese antiques, combined with a bold use of colour to create a very personal atmosphere. The villa is fully staffed and has a private swimming pool. Prices vary from US$370-490++ per night(depending on season).
- Niloufar Villa, Canggu www.niloufar-villa.com. Luxury private villa built in 2007, it blends its exceptional location with outstanding facilities, service and privacy. Embracing the trend of ‘Destination’ villas, the property has been designed to contain as many features and amenities as possible, complemented by top levels of service, intended to ensure that guests feel no need to go out for top quality dining and entertainment. The villa boasts a 17 x 5 meter swimming pool and a fully equipped gym. The meandering Buwit River borders the villa’s expansive gardens; the property is surrounded by nature and blessed with beautiful views and riverside trails. Managed by BHM www.BHMvillas.com. Five bedrooms, private pool and garden - fully staffed (private cook, maids, etc). Prices vary from US$700-1000++ depending on season.
- Simona Oasis and Spa, Canggu www.simona-oasis.com. This spectacular 5-bedroom villa with its own 1000m2 private spa rests upon a venerated spurs of land fed by a holy spring at the confluence of two rivers and is located among the ricefields, walking distance from the beach. Fully staffed, and car and driver included within.
- Umah Di Beji, Berawa, Canggu www.umahdibeji.com. Accessed via its own 150 metre driveway and bridge, the five bedroom Umah di Beji enjoys a most secluded location amongst the paddy (rice) fields. The fully staffed villa itself is set in a picturesque location, with gardens forming a natural amphitheater. Various buildings, all with traditional Balinese alang-alang (thatched) roofs, frame the gardens and house the five king-sized suites. The mature garden and numerous water features range down towards the dramatic, lava rock private swimming pool. Prices vary from US$800-1250++ depending on season.
- The Beji Private Villa, Berawa, Canggu www.villabeji.com. Built in 2007, this magnificent six-bedroom villa is bordered by rice terraces and a river, within walking distance of Berawa Beach. The property, ideal for families and suitable for disabled guests, is comprised of ten single-storey pavilions, together with one double-storey building, a 27-metre swimming pool and a series of ornamental ponds, leisurely spread throughout lush, expansive gardens. The contemporary style is restful with a fresh cool décor and modern furnishings. Recreational facilities at the villa include a tennis court and a gym. The Beji is also perfect for weddings and parties and is adjacent to its sister villa Umah di Beji www.umahdibeji.com. Prices vary from US$1100-1650++ depending on season.
- Puri Bawana Estate, Canggu www.PuriBawana.com. Opened to the market in 2008, the splendid 5-bedroom Puri Bawana Estate, complete with 30-metre swimming pool, rests upon almost 2 acres of land (7000m2) surrounded by emerald rice fields, within walking distance of the beach at the fishing village of Canggu on Bali’s southwest coast. The Estate is resourcefully integrated into the natural terraced contours of a hill. Its luxury villa is comprised of a series of thatched pavilions, housing a remarkable open living pavilion, an elevated dining pavilion, an entertainment Room, two kitchens and five bedrooms, completed by additional smaller bedroom suitable for kids or a nanny. Fully staffed and serviced by BHM www.BHMVillas.com, the Estate also boasts a membership at the Canggu Club www.cangguclub.comwhich means its guests enjoy access to the numerous sporting and social facilities featured at the country club. Prices start from USD650++ a night, and vary depending on season.
- Villa Emerald River, Berawa, Canggu www.hotcangguvillas.com. The 4 Bedrooms Vacation Villa of 620 m2 is composed of 3 different 2 storey buildings linked on the second floor by a large terrace from where guests can admire a magnificent sea view especially for the sunset. The large manicured garden features an amazing 100 m2 lava stone swimming pool surrounding the buildings dedicated to the bedrooms. Prices starting from US$450++.
Image Source: blog.baliwww.com, http://www.flickr.com/photos/66086592@N00/247295878/