Lovina Beach is a long narrow strech of black volcano sand on the north shore of Bali. Virtually empty most of the year, Lovina, like most of Bali, fills up with tourists from all over the world in August. It is a nice break from the bustle of Kuta.
HOW TO REACH LOVINA BEACH
Perama offers transportation all around Bali to all mayor tourist destinations. They use small mini buses without air conditioning and the prices are reasonable. Prices and timetables can be found on their website.
Bemo’s are the public transport buses. They are extremely cheap, however you need have some patience and Bemo’s can be crowded. They are a challenge for the experienced traveler.
You can hire a car and drive up from the South. Far better, given the relative costs and the roads/driving in Bali, hire a driver and car. You can travel from Kuta in less than 3hrs and from the airport or Sanur in about 2.30hrs. You will travel through (Pura Ulun Danau) Bedugul and could go the pretty way through Munduk if you are not in a hurry. So you could stop to take in the temple, lakes and rice paddies on your trip and make a day of it.
WHAT TO SEE AND DO IN LOVINA BEACH
Expect to be offered dolphin sighting trips every other minute. These trips leave each morning and have very mixed reviews as the boats tend to outnumber the dolphins, but it can still be an enjoyable ride. Prices are fixed by a dolphin cartel, they are around 50.000 (4 euro)
Air Panas/ Banjar Hot Springs — Located west of Lovina, Air Panas is an enchanting hot springs with stone carved mouths gushing water among a lush garden setting. A nominal entrance fee is charged.
Cockfights are held around Lovina. You will see around Lovina many older people training the cocks, just ask them to bring you to a fight.
Lovina is lucky to have several spa facilities. While a little more low key than the spas to the south, the service is excellent and the prices, being much less than the opulent spas in the south, are an excellent value and well worth it.
- Agung's Spa. Offers body scrubs, facials, massage, etc. It is also the nicest spa facility in Lovina, though by Balinese standards it is much smaller and basic than what you would find elsewhere on the island.
- Bali Samadhi Spa (Tel. 081 338 558 260) — in Lovina offers a variety of massages. One is called Rebalancing Massage a very nice mixture between therapeutic and well-being massage. Mandi Lulur scrubs are available including the yogurt mask.
WHERE TO SLEEP AT LOVINA BEACH
- Ulam Segara, +62.361.8528521. 5-room "luxury homestay", 5 min drive from Lovina. Pool, ocean views, mosquito nets.
- Suma was a cheap and clean hostel, however it's renovated and lost it's backpackers mentality. It’s still a good place to stay, with a nice swimming pool and location. Around $10.
- Sanders is situated in central Lovina just next to the beach side. Rooms are clean and prices are around 50.000 (4 euro) for 2 persons, no hot water. It’s one of the best backpackers places in town.
- Gede Homestay Bungalow, right at the beach, 2 kilometer of the Lovina center. The rooms are clean and prices are around 7 euro for 2 persons, the rooms have airco and hot water. It is a small family run homestay with a good restaurant and nice seats in front of the bungalows.
- Elsa II A small but excellent new option in Kalibukbuk! Near the "Angsoka", in the middle of the village. Opened in 06/2008 offer you nice rooms, hotwater in private bathrooms, with fan or aircon, breakfast included from 70.000 Rp. a night.
- Rini Hotel, central Lovina. Opened 1989.
- Rambutan Beach Cottages,Tel: +62 362 41388. A fine family hotel near the beach at Kalibukbuk (the center of Lovina). It has two pools and a pleasant restaurant with a mix of excellent local and western food. This hotel has superb rooms and gardens and many amenities for children. It is suitable for families and couples alike. The owners and staff are extremely helpful and friendly and the hotel offers all the services you will need on your holiday. Room prices per night from the budget $15 per double up to luxury villas from $85 to $155.
- Bali Paradise Hotel, ☎ +62-362-41432. Ocean and mountain view, huge swimming pool, huge rooms available. USD $50+.
- Aditya Beach Resort, Tel: +62.361.8528521, or +62.81337536464. Room prices per night from the budget $35 - $52
- Villa Santhi — A private luxury home available for weekly rentals starting at 1000 Euro / week.
- Villa Insulinde — A private villa with personel for weekly rentals starting at 650 Euro / week.